Many thanks to fixatedann at Randomly Speaking Unorthodoxly for nominating me for the Liebster Award. I must admit that at first I thought it was the Lieber Award and that my friend Steffen, aka The Lieber Boy, had decided to toss me a blogging bone. So imagine how thrilled I was to discover that this is an actual nomination and not something concocted by a well-meaning friend to make me feel more successful than I actually am.
To the best of my knowledge, once the nominations have been made, much like the Nielsen family controls television ratings and the programming we watch, the blogs are then reviewed by the Liebster family of Anaheim, California. Based on their likes and dislikes, the blogs available for our perusal are decided upon. It’s a very thorough and sophisticated process, and one which I may have just made up.
The part that I didn’t invent are the rules, which are as follows:
- You must link back the person who nominated you
- You must answer the 10 Liebster questions given to you by the nominee before you
- You must pick 10 bloggers to be nominated for the award with under 200 followers
- You must come up with 10 questions for your nominees to answer
- You must go to their blogs and notify your nominees
Questions from fixatedann:
1. Where are you from, were you born there?
My mother’s vagina. Yes.
2. Why do you choose to blog?
Because I can’t sing, dance or paint. When you express yourself through writing it’s different from the more visible forms of expression. If you have a good voice or can draw, everyone can hear or see what you do; but when you write, you have to give people your words and ask them to take the time to read them. With a blog, you can just put it out there in the open, on display, like art or a dance.
3. Do you think writing can somewhat help to heal depression?
I think it helps alleviate the symptoms when I’m able to write, but personally I haven’t found that it heals the depression. If it did, I probably wouldn’t still be taking so many meds.
4. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
I’m not even sure what I’ll be doing in the next 5 days! Five years is way to much to think about.
5. Do you play an instrument?
I own a keyboard, two ukuleles and about two dozen harmonicas. I can play none of them.
6. Are you a professional Writer? If you aren’t what is your profession? Would you choose another profession?
I’m not a professional writer and my current profession is Unemployed Person. My last job was a Senior Human Resources Management Systems Reporting and Database Analyst … and yes, it was just as exciting as it sounds! If I could choose any other profession it would be any profession other than that one.
7. Do you have a bucket list? Care to share?
I have no intention of kicking said bucket, so I’ve not made such a list.
8. Do you write poetry?
Occasionally and badly.
9. Do you believe in marriage/divorce? State with reasons.
I think they’re personal choices. In November of 2008, when same-sex marriage was briefly legal in California prior to the Prop 8 vote, my girlfriend of 15 years and I got married. We were divorced in 2010. I don’t think making it legal cursed our relationship and led to its demise, but it sure made the break-up a lot messier. While I don’t think I’d choose to get married again, divorce hasn’t soured me on the concept of marriage as a whole. I do think, however, that it should be as easy and cheap to untie the knot as it is to tie it in the first place.
10. What are your thoughts on the current battle with Syria?
I think that what happened is horrible and tragic. But I don’t think bombing Syria to punish Syria for bombing Syria is the answer.
My 10 Liebster Award nominees (not everyone lists how many followers they have so I may not have stayed within the Liebster guidelines here):
- Archon’s Den
- Once Upon A Gay Nerd
- Write In the Wrong Way
- The Atheist Diary
- Addies Hut Up
- Tales From The Gay Bar
- I’m pretty sure I can Fly
Questions for my nominees:
- What’s the most important quality you look for in a friend?
- What would your superhero name be?
- Have you ever broken someone’s heart? If so, whose?
- Is the pursuit or the capture better? Why?
- What do you most wish you could do over?
- Is it ever okay to put raisins in cookies? Why or why not?
- What’s the last compliment you were given?
- How important is the first kiss?
- What’s the best name for a turtle, and why?
- What do you wish people knew about you?